In order for schools to evolve to consistently offer transformational education that is relevant to our post-Industrial Age world we must change the ways we are structured and oriented, and we must change how and what we teach. These changes will involve all aspects of our schools, and some aspects that are not even present today. We will have to:
• Question the sacred cows that drive our budgets and define the parameters of our teaching corps.
• Fundamentally change the relationship between teachers, students, and knowledge.
• Adopt the lessons of innovation and change management that are now foreign to our ivy towers.
• Engage the world outside our classrooms in fundamentally different ways.
• Re-write curriculum.
• Learn to embrace risk rather than fearing it…
…and more. I have been involved with issues of cutting edge education for more than 30 years. I look forward to bringing that experience, and my on-going work on school evolution, into this important conversation.